[arch-projects] window manager thought

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 13:35:57 EDT 2005

On 6/1/05, Dusty Phillips <buchuki at gmail.com> wrote:
> I can't wait for this perfect wm to come along. Don't call it phrakwm,
> because I'm sick of all the window managers with 'wm' in the title.
> Phrakstep, maybe, although there's enough of them out there with step
> in the title too... maybe Phrakdows, mwahahaha!

yeah I was messing with names and came up with nothing - though the
backend utility junk I'm throwing in a namespace called "phrik" -
phrik and phrak... I found it funny 8(

maybe I'll just call it "phrak"... *shrug*, name is unimportant at this stage 8)

> After getting tired of wmii layouts and going back to wmi at home, I
> started thinking about another wm. I keep coming back to this one:
>
> http://pywm.sourceforge.net/

This one too:
http://incise.org/index.cgi/Whimsy

> I like the idea though... a Window Manager 'object' that can be used
> to create any number of window managers in python... I also looked at
> python-xlib... Thought somebody might be interested in the idea.

Yeah, I just don't think python is really up to the task of running a
WM - it has the nice little habit of dying and dying hard "whoops, I
fucked up - here's you stack trace"... I don't think I'd trust it...
but that's just me