[arch-projects] mBira project

cactus cactus at solarblue.net
Wed Jun 1 15:42:40 EDT 2005

To me, the main reason for the continued existence of personal
repositories, is that the aur only allows a single package per name. If
two people want to package the same utility differently, too bad. Only
one person can "own" it in the aur.

Further, I custom compile several binaries (php with tidy-2.0 support
for instance). If someone else wants to use my binary, then they are
free to do so, instead of compiling it themselves.

Those are just two examples off the top of my head, why I think personal
user repositories will never go away.

In all honesty, I am going to use mBira as a front end to my personal
binary repository (replacing my previous use of PRIMAL). If nobody else
does, then that is their choice, and they are welcome to make it.

I just figured I would let people know about it, and let them make their
own choices.

--
Bender: It was horrible! A nightmare!