[arch-projects] mBira project

Paul Mattal paul at mattal.com
Wed Jun 1 16:04:14 EDT 2005

I should mention (in other forums too, probably, but you brought
up the issue so you get the benefit of my spontaneous response!)
is that I have been thinking about the possible merits of
allowing multiple versions of the same package for some time in
AUR. It's an idea that appeals to me greatly.

I think the challenge will be making it simple enough to handle
multiple versions of a package without it becoming overly
complex. We Arch-ers like our simplicity!

I'd be interested to hear more ideas about how an elegant system
could be constructed that would allow multiple versions of the
same package by different maintainers. What would the db look
like? What would the UI look like? What would the PKGBUILD
hierarchy look like? How would things get handled when you
transition unsupported->community, etc? How would we explain it
simply to the community?

Of course, there's a lot of AUR discussion to be done. It's
nearly time to sit down and have a broad-based community
discussion about it and think about what's next. I'm sorry I've
had so little time to devote to it recently. I'm planning to sit
down with my calendar very soon to figure out some dates to
propose for the Grand Unified Discussion Session. ;)

- P