[arch-projects] mBira project

Jason Chu jason at archlinux.org
Wed Jun 1 21:52:35 EDT 2005

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 12:42:40PM -0700, cactus wrote:
> To me, the main reason for the continued existence of personal repositories, is
> that the aur only allows a single package per name. If two people want to
> package the same utility differently, too bad. Only one person can "own" it in
> the aur.

I've always hated the idea of having a public "personal" repo containing
packages with the same names as the big three repos.  Here's why:

Let's say cactus has a cool package that I want to try: foobar.  I add
cactus' repo to my pacman.conf.  Then I pacman -Sy foobar and all is good.
A few days later, I pacman -Syu and oh no!  cactus' evil php with tidy
compiled in is installed over my stock php, which I wanted!

Why can't people just create php-tidy and make it provide php?  Then it
will work as a replacement to php (in pacman's eyes), upgrade normally, and
no one will be forced to use your php version unless they wanted it.

If your personal repo is actually personal and not public, this doesn't
apply.  Feel free to overload any packages you want from any repo you want.
Just don't force your preferences on other people.

That's always my response to people who want duplicate packages in AUR, add
a -my-option.  Make it provide and conflict if you really want to make sure
only one or the other is on the system.

Jason

--
If you understand, things are just as they are.  If you do not understand,
things are just as they are.