[arch-projects] Xenophile

Jason Chu jason at archlinux.org
Wed Mar 16 13:59:03 EST 2005

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 12:23:09PM -0600, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> > http://xentac.net/~jchu/blog/technology/jabber/xenophile-intro.html
> >
> > An interesting idea for remote control and communication with daemons
> > via Jabber.
>
> It'd be nice to generalize it so one could use AIM oor Yahoo or
> something like that as well... but that's not the real focus, it looks
> like.  It's a messaging framework, and in a way independant of the
> underlying transport layer...

Because jabber is so much more open, it's a lot easier to develop for.

Jabber has a notion of messages that aren't chat messages.  I can send rpc
messages between clients, which is how daemons can talk to each other,
without having to hack some sort of solution together because there's a JEP
that explains the standard way to do it.

I also don't have to configure which daemons use which accounts because
they all use the same account with different named resources.

If someone else wanted to write this for another IM, they are free to do
so, but don't expect it to come from me.

> I always loved messaging frameworks... I once made a set of utilities
> to communicate between some VAX VMS machines up to one unix machine
> and multiple windows machines... it converted data from VMS flat files
> and inserted it into either oracle or SQL Server...
>
> Now, if you can implement something similar with Xenophile, that would
> be great...

I'm sure you could.  As it stands, I have plans for a note, reminder,
email, and context-sensitive daemons.

The reminder daemon won't really be used by the user, but the note and
email daemons will mark things that they need to remind the user of and the
reminder daemon will remind them.

The context-sensitive daemon will actually be pretty neat.  It'll be much
like dashboard, in that the things you do will affect the information it
tells you.  Something I'm always doing is writing myself reminders to tell
people stuff when I see them.  What if my IRC and IM clients could trigger
reminders by telling a daemon that I'm talking to someone?

For Dusty, the svn repo has a link right in the blog post.  If you are
somehow blog impaired it's here too:
https://xentac.net/svn/xenophile/trunk/

The main reason I didn't announce it is because I'm only done a note
daemon.  At this point I've written all the jabber-rpc stuff but I don't
expect to have a reminder daemon working till at least this evening.

Jason

--
If you understand, things are just as they are.  If you do not understand,
things are just as they are.