[arch-projects] Two small projects

Dusty Phillips buchuki at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 13:03:18 EST 2005

> > with their chosen editor, and it would make sense to settle on a
> > filename (ie: $HOME/.currentbuffer). More importantly, somebody may
>
> Yeah! and then when you have two JEdit's open, they'll compete with each
> other over who is in $HOME/.currentbuffer!  ;P

I have alias jedit='jedit -reuseview' in my ~/.bashrc, which basically
means, there's only ever one JEdit running at once.

> Wouldn't it be better to have JEdit start an xterm within the current
> buffer directory?  Or do you not like starting more xterms?

That might be useful for one or two commands. I like to have one or
two xterms open, tiled around the JEdit window by WMI.  I generally
have something going on in several directories (pushd is my best
friend) in two xterms -- maybe docs in one dir, code in another, etc.
So I may want to change to the buffer directory in an xterm that's
already open, not open a new one.

Basically, I'm finding that current editors are designed with the
editor being supreme, and terminals are slaves to it. I'd much rather
decouple them such that the editor is slave to xterm, or better yet,
so the two can act as peers.

> What about using screen?  You could get JEdit to start a new screen window
> in the current buffer directory and then ctrl-a n to it in your open,
> seperate xterm.

Hmmm. That's an interesting thought. Its interesting for the working
in several directoryies problem too. I haven't used screen yet, maybe
its time to try.

Dusty