[arch-projects] Forum to mailing list

Jason Chu jason at archlinux.org
Tue Mar 22 12:16:30 EST 2005

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 11:05:31AM -0600, Dusty Phillips wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 14:10:37 +0800, Rasatmakananda <rasat at pacific.net.sg> wrote:
> > If arch-projects mailing list wants to install this system, I am ready
> > to help. If you want use usercb forum is also fine with me.
> > I don't know what you all would think having user-contributions.org
> > joined to this list.
> > http://user-contributions.org/index.html
>
> Xentac? This is your baby. ;-)
>
> I suggest we either try user-contributions on this list, or set up a
> second list that accesses it so we can test the interface. The long
> term goal is, of course, to migrate bbs.archlinux.org to a forum2mail
> gateway.  Although, by that time, we'll probably all be so fed up with
> the new generation of arch (l)users that we'll probably just stick
> with this list and ignore the forum. I miss the old Arch when
> everybody knew more about everything than me.

I think we should use a second list.  Wouldn't want to pollute this one
testing too much stuff ;)

I suppose a yahoo group mailing list is fine, assuming it doesn't mangle
the emails too much.

Rasat, how is the forum2mail config?  Does it let you send only certain
categories to the ML?  Can you have multiple MLs for categories (say, have
all the Projects categories go to some ML and have all the General
categories to another)?  One of the things the arch forum needs to worry
about is what happens with the Moderator category.  We don't want anyone to
be able to read or see it unless they already have permission on the forum.
Personally, I wouldn't mind having to visit the forum to read one category.

> I've always disliked mailing lists, but after using this one with
> gmail, I'm finding its actually a lot more useful than web bbs
> software. And I haven't even had to set up filters on any annoying
> users yet. :-D

It's all about the interface...

> Dusty
>
> Dusty

Jason

Jason

--
If you understand, things are just as they are.  If you do not understand,
things are just as they are.