[arch-projects] Dead list

Andy Roberts mail at andy-roberts.net
Sat May 21 05:47:51 EDT 2005

On Friday 20 May 2005 21:48, Dusty Phillips wrote:
> Some days I'd rather be anunemployed Python programmer than a
> dissatisfied C++ or Java
> programmer saying "this would be so much easier in Python"
>
> Course, I never say that for Java, even though its sometimes true...

Well, if you're looking for a job, then it's probably easier to do in Java :P
I don't know, in my research, I have wrote a set of programs for various
tasks. The majority are Java, several are python and one is C++. I then use
someelse's program for another task which is written in C.

I think Python is a great language and a great starting point for budding
programmers. Python reminds me of how I write in C++: objects for
encapsulation, and then procedural from then on. So, a transition from Python
to C++ in this way would be quite easy in that respect. However, a python
programmer may be horrified at the C++ syntax. No more nice for loops. You'll
probably have to use pointers eventually. The STL is darn hardy but it's not
simple.

Java uses a similar syntax to C++ (even more so now thank's to generics), but,
when it comes to using collections, it isn't *as* bad. Java on the other hand
enforces object-orientation design thoughout - no mixed mode here! I recall
it took me a while to get used to that.

One of the handy things with Java is that it's a rich platform. The language
itself isn't terribly difficult, but it can take a while just to become
familiar with all the classes that comes bundled with the Java Runtime. This
obviously saves a great deal of effort since you need not reinvent the wheel.
The number can in fact be a downside - I know students who write a lot of
code when they could have utilised a class they didn't realise existed!

Java is extremely important in the back-end and middleware domains.
Enterprises like it because you can make good web-based rich applications. So
there are a lot of jobs out there within these areas. Companies like IBM and
Oracle are pouring resources to Java technologies. Note, Google recently
released a Java app for uploading videos - so they must have employed at
least one Java dev!

Basically, (and obviously this is subjective) I'd say for the best all-round
language, i'd choose Java. It's fast enough relative to C++ and much faster
than any of the other high-level scripting languages. It's fully featured and
the portability of your programs can be a real bonus.

Andy