[arch-projects] no relevant title

Paul Mattal paul at mattal.com
Sat Sep 22 16:05:29 EDT 2007

eliott wrote:
>> I'm still slow at git and fumbling around, but have you pushed your
>> readytopull to your public repo? If I clone you, I don't see it:
>
> it should be there now paul.
> I had some goofery that I just nuked locally.
> In that cloned repo, try a `git fetch -f origin`. That should pull in
> my changes, and force updates.
>
>> I don't know how this thing typically works.. do people usually have a
>> branch that is ready to pull?
>
> Generally, yes. That way people know which branch to pull things
> from.. not a 'messy test branch'. It is usually the person's
> responsability to ensure that their readytopull branch is fairly
> usable for people pulling from upstream.

That part makes sense. I was just wondering if the convention was that
the ready to pull branch *was* the master. This is clean, because it
scales.. if everyone does that, everyone pulling from everyone else's
master, that's the most current reliable developed state of the world.

> ... you mentioned cloning... The following is FYI, if you don't already know it.
>
> ######
> You can track other people's repos internally, whithout having to have
> separate repo dirs..
>
> Lets say I clone your repo.
>
>     git clone git://git.mattal.com/aur.git aur
>     > lots out output
>     cd aur
>     git branch -a
>     > * master
>     > origin/HEAD
>     > origin/aur2
>     > origin/master
>     > origin/origin
>     > origin/testing
>
> Ok. Now I think...loui is doing some neat stuff...I want to check it out.
> I don't have to clone 'rawly'. I can add a new remote repo to track.
>
>     git remote add -f loui http://louipc.dontexist.org/aur/.git
>     git branch -a
>     > * master
>     > loui/experimental
>     > loui/master
>     > origin/HEAD
>     > origin/aur2
>     > origin/master
>     > origin/origin
>     > origin/testing
>
> Then I checkout a branch to work in.
>
>     git checkout -b local-loui loui/experimental
>
> This is nice because you can `git diff`, and `git cherry-pick` from
> one named repo to another, rebase, and do all kinds of other
> tom-foolery.

Thanks, I had some of this but not all of it, especially some of the
neater syntax for it all, so it is useful. Just getting the hang of
remote refs.

I wouldn't normally have cloned your repo, but I wondered if it was
something I was doing wrong that was causing me not to see the branch,
so I wanted to do a brain-dead simple clone and branch -r first to be
sure before asking!

- P