[arch-projects] no relevant title

eliott eliott at cactuswax.net
Sat Sep 22 15:28:33 EDT 2007

> I'm still slow at git and fumbling around, but have you pushed your
> readytopull to your public repo? If I clone you, I don't see it:

it should be there now paul.
I had some goofery that I just nuked locally.
In that cloned repo, try a `git fetch -f origin`. That should pull in
my changes, and force updates.

> I don't know how this thing typically works.. do people usually have a
> branch that is ready to pull?

Generally, yes. That way people know which branch to pull things
from.. not a 'messy test branch'. It is usually the person's
responsability to ensure that their readytopull branch is fairly
usable for people pulling from upstream.

> I was originally thinking people would
> merge stuff into their master when it was ready, and work in branches
> until then, but I also see how having a special separate readytopull
> could be handy.
>
> In any case, should we adopt a convention to eliminate confusion?

It wouldn't hurt.

... you mentioned cloning... The following is FYI, if you don't already know it.

######
You can track other people's repos internally, whithout having to have
separate repo dirs..

Lets say I clone your repo.

    git clone git://git.mattal.com/aur.git aur
    > lots out output
    cd aur
    git branch -a
    > * master
    > origin/HEAD
    > origin/aur2
    > origin/master
    > origin/origin
    > origin/testing

Ok. Now I think...loui is doing some neat stuff...I want to check it out.
I don't have to clone 'rawly'. I can add a new remote repo to track.

    git remote add -f loui http://louipc.dontexist.org/aur/.git
    git branch -a
    > * master
    > loui/experimental
    > loui/master
    > origin/HEAD
    > origin/aur2
    > origin/master
    > origin/origin
    > origin/testing

Then I checkout a branch to work in.

    git checkout -b local-loui loui/experimental

This is nice because you can `git diff`, and `git cherry-pick` from
one named repo to another, rebase, and do all kinds of other
tom-foolery.
######