[arch-projects] hostname regression

Eric Bélanger snowmaniscool at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 16:38:22 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 4:15 PM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 10:06 PM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Also, inetutils also could provide a hostname and even an ifconfig
>> binary. They are currently not included in the package as they are (or
>> were) provided by other packages.  See the list of utilities that we
>> could add in inetutils:
>>
>>    --disable-tftp --disable-tftpd \
>>    --disable-ping --disable-ping6 \
>>    --disable-logger --disable-syslogd \
>>    --disable-inetd --disable-whois \
>>    --disable-uucpd --disable-hostname \
>>    --disable-ifconfig --disable-traceroute
>>
>> I don't know how they compare to the other versions of these tools
>> provided by net-tools, coreutils, etc.  But they might be a good
>> alternative.
>
> That's probably a very good idea. We'd just have to check the
> functionality versus net-tools.
>
> The question remains: what to do with initscripts. It just needs to
> set the hostname, seems silly to pull in net-tools or inetutils just
> for this...

What you suggested above seems right: have initscripts provide it's
copy of hostname. The package is already arch dependent because of the
minilogd binary so adding another binary doesn't change anything. And
at 22KB, hostname is quite small so we don't wast much of diskspace.

The other solution is what we do now: have hostname in a base package
that everyone has installed like coreutils.