[arch-projects] hostname regression

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Thu Jun 9 16:51:06 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 10:38 PM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 4:15 PM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 10:06 PM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Also, inetutils also could provide a hostname and even an ifconfig
>>> binary. They are currently not included in the package as they are (or
>>> were) provided by other packages.  See the list of utilities that we
>>> could add in inetutils:
>>>
>>>    --disable-tftp --disable-tftpd \
>>>    --disable-ping --disable-ping6 \
>>>    --disable-logger --disable-syslogd \
>>>    --disable-inetd --disable-whois \
>>>    --disable-uucpd --disable-hostname \
>>>    --disable-ifconfig --disable-traceroute
>>>
>>> I don't know how they compare to the other versions of these tools
>>> provided by net-tools, coreutils, etc.  But they might be a good
>>> alternative.
>>
>> That's probably a very good idea. We'd just have to check the
>> functionality versus net-tools.
>>
>> The question remains: what to do with initscripts. It just needs to
>> set the hostname, seems silly to pull in net-tools or inetutils just
>> for this...
>>

> What you suggested above seems right: have initscripts provide it's
> copy of hostname. The package is already arch dependent because of the
> minilogd binary so adding another binary doesn't change anything. And
> at 22KB, hostname is quite small so we don't wast much of diskspace.
>
> The other solution is what we do now: have hostname in a base package
> that everyone has installed like coreutils.

Hm, ok I'll go back to my original suggestion then. Have a hostname
just for initscripts and let people install net-tool (or inetutils if
that's better) to get the normal functionality back.

Though the initscripts specific hostname should still be shipped with
coreutils I think, just moved to /lib/initscripts, so only initscripts
will know about it ;-) That makes packaging easier (I think).

-t