[arch-projects] [udev][RFC][2/5] moving static nodes to udev-compat

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Sat May 14 08:52:12 EDT 2011

In further simplifying our udev package I'd like to move all our
static dev nodes (the contents of /lib/udev/devices) from udev to
udev-compat. The reason for this is that it is not needed with a
devtmpfs kernel, such as kernel26{,-lts}. In other words these static
nodes are only useful for self-compiled kernels without devtmpfs
support.

The affected users are those who are using non-devtmpfs kernels
without udev-compat, who should on the next upgrade install
udev-compat. If we agree to do this I suggest an announcement to the
news page in good time before the change and a note in udev.install.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Tom