[arch-projects] [udev][RFC][1/5] remove cdsymlinks.sh

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Sat May 14 08:51:47 EDT 2011

The first thing I want to address is cdsymlinks.sh and the
corresponding rules in 80-drivers.rules.

As far as I understand the aim of this functionality is to create
sensible symlinks to cdrom devices in /dev. Similar functionality is
already provided by 60-cdrom_id.rules upstream, though it might differ
slightly (from the git log, this rules file has had bugfixes that
probably would apply to our rules too). I am inclined to simply remove
our functionality and rely entirely on the upstream one. If there are
use cases that we cover that upstream do not (I'm not aware of any),
then I would be happy to take the lead on pushing the required patches
upstream.

This might cause some functional change to our users, but as far as I
can tell a renamed cdrom symlink should not be the end of the world.
Clearly, an announcement about this change must be made.

>From what I have been told this was mostly relevant with the old
standard fstab entries for cdroms. However, those have been removed a
long time ago.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Tom