[arch-projects] [initscripts][RFC] deprecating TIMEZONE from rc.conf

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Mon May 16 18:26:35 EDT 2011

Am Mon, 16 May 2011 23:53:16 +0200
schrieb Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no>:

> The only time you need to set the timezone, is when you actually
> change timezone. It is therefore not necessary to do this at every
> boot.

Well, yes. I remember again.

> To see a problem (as mentioned earlier): change your (system-wide)
> timezone in KDE, reboot, check timezone. Timezone was reset to
> whatever was in rc.conf (which was not updated when you updated your
> timezone in KDE).

But usually not in KDE. Doesn't KDE store its timezone setting
separately from /etc/localtime?

> As far as I know Gentoo does the same as Arch, I'm not sure what
> Ubuntu does and Fedora/OpenSuse do what I propose.

> The simplest way is to do nothing at all during boot.
>
> You only need to set the timezone at install and if it actually has
> changed, in which case you use a tool (gui/cli) or copy by hand to set
> /etc/localtime.

From your explanations and if I think about it again, you're indeed
right. The timezone (/etc/localtime) indeed needs to be set only once
at install.

And if I continue thinking I think I can remember that I needed to
symlink or copy the zoneinfo to /etc/localtime manually on Gentoo.

Heiko