[arch-projects] [initscripts][RFC] deprecating TIMEZONE from rc.conf

Seblu seblu at seblu.net
Mon May 16 20:18:29 EDT 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 11:53 PM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 11:25 PM, Heiko Baums <lists at baums-on-web.de> wrote:
>> Am Mon, 16 May 2011 20:28:17 +0200
>> schrieb Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no>:

> As far as I know Gentoo does the same as Arch, I'm not sure what
> Ubuntu does and Fedora/OpenSuse do what I propose.
debian (probably ubuntu), use dpkg-reconfigure which set
/etc/localtime with a copy of timezone file.

>> That said it's obvious that there must be a way to set a system wide
>> timezone at boot time. The current method is, btw., much better, since
>> simpler and easier (KISS), than an /etc/rc.d/timezone method.
>
> The simplest way is to do nothing at all during boot.
>
> You only need to set the timezone at install and if it actually has
> changed, in which case you use a tool (gui/cli) or copy by hand to set
> /etc/localtime.

I agree with your analysis tom, dropping timezone from rc.conf and let
/etc/localtime as unique refence is a good, kiss and standard
decision.

Let upstream tzselect program set current timezone is nice.

--
Sébastien Luttringer
www.seblu.net