[arch-projects] [initscripts] next release

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Fri Nov 4 18:08:07 EDT 2011

Hi guys,

I plan on making a new initscripts release in the not too distant
future, so it would be great if you could all take current master for
a spin.

The major changes (not so major really):

1) minilogd is now gone. It did not do much (anything?) useful anyway,
and was probably broken, but no one seemed to care enough to fix it.
This means that we are now arch=any :-)

2) I pushed a few more commits just now that should hopefully help
with some shutdown issues (I believe Dave could reproduce some
problems, could you have a look if this solves it, if you did not
already?).

3) There is a fix for some issues with locale on non-bash shells (zsh
in particular).

After this I'd hope to clean up cryptsetup. The current state is not
good, and there are bugs that have been open against it for a very
long time. In particular, we should sort out encrypted swap-devices
being created before the random seed is loaded (that is bad...), and
the parsing of the crypttab file.

The main reason I have not touched the former is that I'm hesitant to
change code that could potentially overwrite people's drives with
random crap. The reason I haven't touched the latter is that I hate
the crypttab format we use. If anyone would like to help (preferably
someone who uses any of this), that would be highly appreciated.

Cheers,

Tom