[arch-projects] [mkinitcpio] release 0.8.0

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar
Fri Nov 25 21:15:33 EST 2011

On 11/25/2011 11:08 PM, Dave Reisner wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 10:58:31PM -0300, Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi wrote:
>> On 11/25/2011 10:10 PM, Dave Reisner wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've tagged mkinitcpio 0.8.0, which came a little earlier than I would
>>> have liked, but there's still fun things to talk about.
>>>
>>> The major point of interest is the addition of fsck functionality. The
>>> logic in init is triggered by the addition of the 'fsck' install hook.
>>> If added after the autodetect hook, only the necessarily helper for the
>>> root FS will be added. Eventually, there may be reason to add fsck prior
>>> to this hook, but probably not yet.
>>>
>>> Operation is hands off until something blows up, at which point we
>>> follow similar logic to that of rc.sysinit. I'll explicitly call out
>>> that if you're using this hook, make sure you have a useful keyboard --
>>> this probably means adding the usbinput hook.
>>>
>>> Other than fsck, there's were lot of cleanup efforts in the early
>>> userspace init to modularize the functionality, but it generally remains
>>> the same. Everything remains largely the same functionally, but I'll
>>> point out that if you pass a major/minor pair as your root device or
>>> don't use udev, you will likely no longer see root mounted as /dev/root,
>>> but as a more descriptive block device.
>>>
>>> As always, this has stood up to my army of VMs, but nothing's better
>>> for finding bugs than real world testing.
>>>
>>> Thanks for Gerardo and Tom for their contributions to this release. The
>>> full shortlog is below.
>>>
>>> Dave Reisner (15):
>>>        mkinitcpio: dereference symlinks when resolving kernver
>>>        update bash completion
>>>        Makefile: install binaries to /usr/bin
>>>        init: don't tell the kernel about the path to modprobe
>>>        init: create /run/initramfs after mounting /run
>>>        init_functions: refactor poll_device
>>>        autodetect: store rootfstype for use by other hooks
>>>        init: use util-linux's /bin/mount
>>>        init_functions: move root resolution to separate function
>>>        init_functions: generalize resolve_device
>>>        init_functions: resolve M:m to device file
>>>        fsck: implement basic fsck support
>>>        install/fsck: new install hook to add fsck and helpers
>>>        init_functions: simplify parse_cmdline
>>>        use util-linux's switch_root binary
>>>
>>> Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi (5):
>>>        hooks/resume: Remove unused function
>>>        hooks/resume: Remove grep usage
>>>        init: Remove grep usage
>>>        init: Remove sed cmd usage
>>>        init: Remove unneeded test
>>>
>>> Tom Gundersen (1):
>>>        add_symlink: fix argument ordering and add_dir call
>> Oh man, thanks for this release, I can push archiso changes (now can
>> boot from internet :P) when this hits [core].
> Thomas asked me to tag for this reason. Very cool work.
Yeah!

>> Note you missed/review four patches that I sent some days ago:
>>
>> 93352a8 [mkinitcpio] install/base: Add an empty fstab
>> 72ece12 [mkinitcpio] hooks/resume: Remove cut cmd usage
>> 8e6df11 [mkinitcpio] hooks/net: Add BOOTIF support.
>> ad0ad9d [mkinitcpio] hooks/net: Refactor and remove sed cmd usage.
> Didn't forget about these, but thanks for reminding me.
No problem, I added the changes to archiso ( add_dir /tmp, and empty
fstab) until get it on mkinitcpio ;)
Also I workaround, but I think will keep definitivelly, -b BASEDIR,
using building initramfs with a chroot, this is much more sane ;)

Good luck!

--
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi
\cos^2\alpha + \sin^2\alpha = 1