[arch-projects] [HEADSUP] udevd moved out of PATH

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Tue Oct 11 08:55:09 EDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 9:10 PM, Dave Reisner <d at falconindy.com> wrote:
> That's half the solution -- as mentioned in the commit message, path_id
> and usb_id needs to be removed from install/udev as well.

Ah, I missed those. I guess they could be done in a separate commit,
I'll try to remember.

> <rant> this seems like upstream is moving a binary for the sake of
> moving a binary. there's no rationale given in the commit message or the
> NEWS. grrrr. </rant>

My guess at a rationale (I agree that it would be nice to put that in
the change log): the user-facing interface to udev is udevadm, not
udevd. A user should never need to call it, so it should not be in
PATH. This is similar to how other daemons are stored in libexecdir
and not in bindir (upower/udisks). Sounds fine by me.

-t