[arch-projects] [HEADSUP] udevd moved out of PATH

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Tue Oct 11 09:53:49 EDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 03:42:10PM +0200, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 11.10.2011 14:44, schrieb Dan McGee:
> > I know I've done `killall udevd && udevd --daemon` before to
> > get the new version running; sounds like this is not going to work at
> > all anymore.
>
> Not that I agree with all the funny path-moving here, but: Restarting
> udev was never supported.

Since when? Upstream recommends that you stop udevd before upgrading
udev (and you can watch its inotify watches freak out in the log file
when you don't). killall might not be the cleanest way with 'udevadm
control --exit' around nowadays, but I can't see why it wouldn't be
supported to restart udev.