[arch-projects] [netcfg] systemd v. initscripts

Jouke Witteveen j.witteveen at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 10:17:38 EDT 2012

On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> Hi Jouke,
>
> It notice that we have /etc/rc.d/net-profiles, but
> /usr/lib/systemd/system/netcfg.service. That mostly does not matter,
> but in order to make people's life easier when converting from
> initsrcipts to systemd, and in particular if they use the
> compatibility layer to parse DAEMONS automatically, it would be nice
> if the rc script and the systemd unit had the same name. Renaming the
> unit file is probably a bad idea by now, but just adding a symlink
> net-profiles.service -> netcfg.service should do the trick.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Tom

I don't think this is urgent enough to justify a new release, but I am
willing to take it into the next version. Is there a compatibility
layer that makes transition easier with the symlink in place? IIRC the
net-profiles name dates back to the time when netcfg was part of
initscripts. In fact, I was quite satisfied with the new, simpler
naming scheme ;-P.

- Jouke