[arch-projects] [netcfg] systemd v. initscripts

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Mon Aug 6 10:30:02 EDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 4:17 PM, Jouke Witteveen <j.witteveen at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think this is urgent enough to justify a new release, but I am
> willing to take it into the next version. Is there a compatibility
> layer that makes transition easier with the symlink in place? IIRC the
> net-profiles name dates back to the time when netcfg was part of
> initscripts. In fact, I was quite satisfied with the new, simpler
> naming scheme ;-P.

If you have initscripts installed (so you are not on a pure systemd
system. Then there is a compatibility layer so that systemd creates
wrapper units for all your rc scripts, and starts the rc scripts that
you have listed in DAEMONS.

This works nicely (IMO), in the way that native systemd services are
always preferred to the legacy ones, so as time goes by and more and
more packages ship native systemd files, the legacy stuff becomes less
and less relevant.

However, in order for systemd to know that the native unit file is the
same as the legacy rc script, they need to have the same name, or at
least there needs to be a symlink in place with the name of the rc
script. If this is not the case, then the legacy rc script will be
used and the native file will be ignored.

There is one last scenario, which is the reason I'd like this added:
if you keep your legacy rc daemon enabled in DAEMONS, and you enable
the systemd unit file using systemctl, and systemd does not know that
they are the same, then it will try to start the same thing twice.
This usually fails and people get confused about the warnings (usually
one of the instances will stay around, so it is ok).

-t