[arch-projects] [netcfg] Call for testers: netctl

Jouke Witteveen j.witteveen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 13:51:03 EST 2012

On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 3:13 PM, member graysky <graysky at archlinux.us> wrote:
> Running v0.1-1 here with a static config and it seems to be working
> just fine.  One thing I will report is that it starts a bit slower
> than netcfg:
>
> % systemd-analyze blame
>   3396ms netcfg.service
>
> % systemd-analyze blame
>   4076ms netctl at static.service
>
> Can you inspect my profile and suggest an optimization?  Thank you.
> This looks like the beginnings of a great project by the way.

Are these results structural? You should probably compare
netctl at static to netcfg at static, but other than that I would expect not
much of a difference. The control flow is very similar, with a
preference for netctl, as (I think) it will do less function calls.
Also, keep in mind that due to parallelization, these timings are not
extremely important. The difference is strange, though. It might be
openresolv that takes a bit longer than writing to resolv.conf
directly, but 700ms seems a bit much.

> % cat /etc/network.d/static
> Connection=ethernet
> Interface=eth0
> BindToInterfaces=(eth0)

This line is not needed, as $BindToInterfaces defaults to $Interface.

> ExecUpPost='/usr/sbin/ip link set eth0 mtu 4000'
> ExecDownPre='/usr/bin/pkill sshd'
>
> IP=static
> Address=10.1.10.101
> Gateway=10.1.10.1