[arch-projects] [initscripts] [GIT] Arch Linux initscripts repository branch master updated. 2012.06.1-6-gb4d7c53

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Sun Jun 10 23:31:37 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 11:25:48AM +0800, Igor M Podlesny wrote:
> On 11 June 2012 08:17, Tom Gundersen <tomegun at archlinux.org> wrote:
> […]
> >    rc.sysinit: remove warnings
> >
> >    These were useful in a transition period, but no need to keep them around.
> >
> >    If /usr is not mounted we probably won't even get this far. If devtmpfs is not supported
> >    the previous mount of /dev would have given an errormessage.
> >
> >    This was prompted by a suggeston from Igor Podlesny to improve on the error handling, which
> >    made me realise we could drop it.
>
>    1) Does it mean "grep" can be hosed out of PKGBUILD as well?

Interesting choice of words...

>    2) Surely I welcome cleaning up the code, but transition period is
> something subjective. Another one good thing about Arch is it's
> simplicity and flexibility, allowing people to use their own kernels
> easily, so it's reasonable that If initscripts have some assumptions
> they would be better tested, probably at the very beginning of it,
> wouldn't they?

Removal of these assumptions has little to do with initscripts itself,
but rather with the rest of userspace's expectations. There's little we
can do in initscripts to combat the fact that recent versions of udev
_require_ devtmpfs for proper operation. There's little we can do to
work around the fact that not having /usr mounted from early userspace
leaves us handicapped and presents unfixable bugs.

So no, this isn't a problem of wanting to let users be "flexible" in their
config or using their own kernels. We've offered all the warnings about
this sort of thing ahead of time, and I've personally gone out of my way
to ensure that mounting /usr from early userspace is supported.

dave