[arch-projects] [netcfg] Call for testers: netctl

Jouke Witteveen j.witteveen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 10:43:40 EST 2013

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 12:46 AM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Am 01.02.2013 00:32, schrieb Jouke Witteveen:
>> On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 12:29 AM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
>>> Am 01.02.2013 00:25, schrieb Thomas Bächler:
>>> Furthermore, every profile requires an interface name. For generic ppp
>>> or 3g profiles, for example, there is no interface name prior to
>>> establishing a connection - how do you plan to implement such profiles?
>>
>> When such names are really unknown a priori, you might need something
>> different than netctl.
>
> Why? This is true for all ppp-based connections, and they make lots of
> sense in network profiles.
>
>> Compared to netcfg, netctl tries to be simple
>> and reasonably good at what it does. It no longer makes coffee, but
>> when you want to connect to a network via a network interface, it is
>> there for you.
>
> Where is the interface name requirement even needed?

Currently the code does not need it per se. It is used to determine
whether a conflicting profile (same interface) is already started.

If you look at the old ppp code, you see that it doesn't need netctl
at all. It is easy to write your own systemd unit that does everything
netctl would do.

As far as uncommon connections go, I still don't have any feedback on
connection types other than ethernet and wireless.

Regards,
- Jouke