[arch-projects] [netcfg] Call for testers: netctl

Jouke Witteveen j.witteveen at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 09:58:48 EST 2013

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 4:50 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Am 01.02.2013 16:43, schrieb Jouke Witteveen:
>> If you look at the old ppp code, you see that it doesn't need netctl
>> at all. It is easy to write your own systemd unit that does everything
>> netctl would do.
>
> Yes, but a future 3g profile, which is really really needed, would work
> without interfaces. You would only specify either a TTY (or optionally a
> bluetooth BDID and port for rfcomm) and some options like the APN, and
> it would establish a connection. I never got motivated enough to write
> that, sadly.

Wouldn't a rfcomm device be acceptable as an interface? I think it
might just work. We might want to source the connection file too on
`netctl enable`, so that we can set BindsToInterfaces to an empty
array over there.

>> As far as uncommon connections go, I still don't have any feedback on
>> connection types other than ethernet and wireless.
>
> I could probably test PPPoE and bridge, when I finally get to break my
> computers again.

One of the reasons I noted this is because I think the vast majority
of users is primarily interested in ethernet/wireless functionality.
Since that seems to work OK, I think we can already start the
migration. The next steps would be:
- move openresolv to [core]
- add netctl to [testing]

Regards,