[arch-projects] [netctl] Time to move

Jouke Witteveen j.witteveen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 10:32:17 EST 2013

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 4:17 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Am 05.02.2013 16:08, schrieb Jouke Witteveen:
>> Here's what needs to be done:
>>
>> - move openresolv to [core]
>> - add netctl to [testing]
>>
>> later:
>> - add netctl to [core]
>> - announce the deprecation of netcfg on the site and ask people to
>> migrate manually (with a howto)
>> - remove netcfg from [core]
>> - possibly: add netctl to the base group
>
> May I suggest a small change before we do this?
>
> Right now, netcfg and netctl share /etc/network.d/ as common directory
> for their configuration. This complicates the migration. Can we use
> something new and more consistent with usual naming schemes? For
> example, systemd uses /etc/systemd/, udev uses /etc/udev/, and so on. I
> think that /etc/netctl/ is the best choice here.

But netctl tries to be like systemctl, so in that case the folder
would be /etc/netd :-P. I think /etc/network is more beautiful, but
perhaps too generic. It would be nice to get this right, as this is
the perfect moment for a change.
Keeping /etc/network.d might not be too bad, as migration consists of
some variable renaming in most cases.

> Oh, and something I completely forgot: Can you remove the [Install]
> section from netctl at .service? It won't work properly when activated with
> systemctl, only when activated with netctl, thus it should not be
> installable.

I will look into this. I think the best way is to add the [install]
section in the generated unit.

- Jouke