[arch-projects] [netctl] Time to move

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Feb 5 11:11:01 EST 2013

Am 05.02.2013 16:32, schrieb Jouke Witteveen:
>> Right now, netcfg and netctl share /etc/network.d/ as common directory
>> for their configuration. This complicates the migration. Can we use
>> something new and more consistent with usual naming schemes? For
>> example, systemd uses /etc/systemd/, udev uses /etc/udev/, and so on. I
>> think that /etc/netctl/ is the best choice here.
>>

> But netctl tries to be like systemctl, so in that case the folder
> would be /etc/netd :-P. I think /etc/network is more beautiful, but
> perhaps too generic. It would be nice to get this right, as this is
> the perfect moment for a change.

But it is called netctl, and not netd. Applications usually name their
/etc/ folder after themselves, that's why I suggest /etc/netctl/

> Keeping /etc/network.d might not be too bad, as migration consists of
> some variable renaming in most cases.

And if something goes wrong and you need to quickly migrate back to
netcfg, you have to reverse it all. It's simply easier if the two do not
conflict.

>> Oh, and something I completely forgot: Can you remove the [Install]
>> section from netctl at .service? It won't work properly when activated with
>> systemctl, only when activated with netctl, thus it should not be
>> installable.
>
> I will look into this. I think the best way is to add the [install]
> section in the generated unit.

You could omit all [Install] data and create the symlinks yourself.