[arch-projects] [initscripts] So it's gone

Connor Behan connor.behan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 01:51:42 EST 2013

I can't post to arch-dev-public and like Lukas [0] I feel guilty about
not getting involved when I should've. Despite the absence of it in the
repos do you (Tom) still stand by your claim [1] that there is nothing
stopping someone from using initscripts in the far future?

I'll admit that part of the reason I want to stick with initscripts is
because I'm a stubborn bastard. But I didn't think the package would be
dropped unless a large number of bugs presented themselves. The
initscripts package I'm using is only two commits behind upstream so it
is almost like I'm "testing" the newest version. If I had volunteered to
test patches (even though I don't have interesting use cases like RAID /
LVM) would there have actually been patches to test?

There are two forks out now. One aims to add features left and right
[2]. The other is a simpler fork that seems more future proof [3]. I am
thinking of using the latter. Of course the maintainer could do
something stupid later on, but so far he hasn't mentioned any crazy
plans like recompiling everything that needs udev. Is this my best bet
or do you think there are reasons to stick with the unsupported
initscripts from git?

[0]
https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2013-February/024388.html
[1]