[arch-projects] [initscripts] So it's gone

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Thu Feb 14 02:00:00 EST 2013

On 14/02/13 16:51, Connor Behan wrote:
> I can't post to arch-dev-public and like Lukas [0] I feel guilty about
> not getting involved when I should've. Despite the absence of it in the
> repos do you (Tom) still stand by your claim [1] that there is nothing
> stopping someone from using initscripts in the far future?
>
> I'll admit that part of the reason I want to stick with initscripts is
> because I'm a stubborn bastard. But I didn't think the package would be
> dropped unless a large number of bugs presented themselves. The
> initscripts package I'm using is only two commits behind upstream so it
> is almost like I'm "testing" the newest version. If I had volunteered to
> test patches (even though I don't have interesting use cases like RAID /
> LVM) would there have actually been patches to test?
>
> There are two forks out now. One aims to add features left and right
> [2]. The other is a simpler fork that seems more future proof [3]. I am
> thinking of using the latter. Of course the maintainer could do
> something stupid later on, but so far he hasn't mentioned any crazy
> plans like recompiling everything that needs udev. Is this my best bet
> or do you think there are reasons to stick with the unsupported
> initscripts from git?
>
> [0]
> https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2013-February/024388.html
> [1]
> https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2012-September/023668.html
> [2] https://github.com/fluxer/initscripts
> [3] https://bitbucket.org/TZ86/initscripts-fork

In all honesty, your best bet is to use systemd.  We no longer provide
the rc.d files for initscripts (or at least they are slowly disappearing
from packages) and more software is beginning to assume booting using it.

If you want to stick to initscripts, link [3] is definitely the better
choice.  I'd assume that it will get the needed fixes for other changes
in the Arch userland.  Just remember to also keep copies of the rc.d
scripts you need too.

Allan