[arch-projects] [netctl][patch] Remove DAD detection

Jouke Witteveen j.witteveen at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 09:18:29 EST 2013

On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Sébastien Luttringer <seblu at seblu.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 2:07 PM, Jouke Witteveen <j.witteveen at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Tested for 4 weeks and avoid netctl units to fail during tentative mode.

>>> Unfortunately on normal setup, where we should not disable DAD, I got
>>> a DAD failure sometimes. It append more on slow computer.
>>
>> So here you say we should not disable DAD on normal setups, with which
>> I agree and which is the default behavior of `ip`.
>>
>>> It's a bit rude to fail the network, sometimes the only way to connect
>>> to the computer, because dad is not finished.
>>> Up the value of the timeout is a quick workaround, but a good value is
>>> difficult to guess and can let us without network if hardware lag.
>>> Why not reverse the logic and check for the dadfailed flag (with a
>>> TIMEOUT) and only consider the network failed with this flag?
>>
>> Here you state the reverse: we should disable DAD by default. The
>> timeout isn't really a workaround, it depends on your network setup
>> what timeouts are to be expected.
>
> I don't state the reverse. We should always let DAD enabled (in the
> kernel) as RFC recommend.
> My point is to avoid disabling of kernel DAD handling because netctl
> make it difficult to let it enabled because it fails randomly based on
> meaningless timeout.
>
> The kernel is in charge of DAD, and advertise us by being in tentative
> mode and then dadfailed if an address is already taken.
> Here netctl try to guess if there is a conflict by looking tentative
> flag, which doesn't means there is a conflict or not. It only tells us
> if kernel as finished its job.
>
> My suggestion, if we want to keeps the timeout logic on ip6 static
> address, we can try to really detect failure and not guess there is an
> ip conflict whereas the DAD process is still ongoing.
> With the both approach, on the network layer, they will never have
> conflict on ip, as DAD is done by kernel. The only difference is
> netctl will not mark interface failed if the result of DAD is not
> available before the timeout. This will save us of a lot of false
> positive DAD failure, as conflict in ipv6 is less frequent.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Sébastien "Seblu" Luttringer
> https://www.seblu.net
> GPG: 0x2072D77A

The time needed for DAD is not determined by the kernel, but by the
network. As far as I know there is no (easy) better way to determine
whether DAD is done than what we do now. We do need DAD to be finished
before continuing in many cases. Just waiting for it to 'really' fail
might mean we wait extremely long. If that is okay with you, just set
the timeout to some very large number :-).

Regards,
- Jouke