[arch-projects] [netctl] mac randomizing

Christian Rebischke Chris.Rebischke at archlinux.org
Tue Jan 19 23:47:43 UTC 2016

Hello everybody,
I am chris from the Arch Linux Security Team. I have tried to reach jouke
(the old maintainer of netctl) because I am thinking about writing a new
feature for netctl. But due to the fact that I can't reach him I explain my
idea here (I hope it's ok).

Maybe you've read the changelog of
network-manager. They have included mac randomizing for scanning the wifis
or connecting to it. I would like to have this in netctl, but I wasn't
unsure if this feature would be a 'nice to have' or would be rejected.

So what do you think about mac-randomizing? I've heard that also iOS 8 uses
it and some other wifi software. Should we include this in netctl?

I would see a big increase of user privacy in it. I would write the feature
as 'optional dependency' (on base of community/macchanger) so that any user
could op it in or out.

Do yo want to see this feature in netctl or better not?

best regards

Christian Rebischke