[arch-projects] [netctl] mac randomizing

Jouke Witteveen j.witteveen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 07:48:46 UTC 2016

Hello Christian,

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 12:47 AM, Christian Rebischke
<Chris.Rebischke at archlinux.org> wrote:
> I am chris from the Arch Linux Security Team. I have tried to reach jouke
> (the old maintainer of netctl) because I am thinking about writing a new
> feature for netctl. But due to the fact that I can't reach him I explain my
> idea here (I hope it's ok).

I am also the current maintainer of netctl. Have you tried e-mailing
me? I cannot find anything from you.

> Maybe you've read the changelog of
> network-manager. They have included mac randomizing for scanning the wifis
> or connecting to it. I would like to have this in netctl, but I wasn't
> unsure if this feature would be a 'nice to have' or would be rejected.
>
> So what do you think about mac-randomizing? I've heard that also iOS 8 uses
> it and some other wifi software. Should we include this in netctl?

Are you aware of the method described here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MAC_address_spoofing#Method_4:_netctl_interfaces

> I would see a big increase of user privacy in it. I would write the feature
> as 'optional dependency' (on base of community/macchanger) so that any user
> could op it in or out.
>
> Do yo want to see this feature in netctl or better not?

Patches are always welcome. Preferably to this list. Patches sent to
the GitHub repository will be forwarded to this list for review if
they are substantial.

Best,
- Jouke