[arch-projects] [archweb] Licensing issues with JS code

Luke Shumaker lukeshu at lukeshu.com
Sun Jan 14 23:04:01 UTC 2018

On Sun, 07 Jan 2018 11:34:59 -0500,
Eli Schwartz wrote:

> On 01/07/2018 10:55 AM, Eli Schwartz wrote:
> > Not really sure what the issue is, are we actually in violation of
> > anything, and if so what? For example, quickly googling for konami.js
> > shows me several github repos that *all* claim to be MIT licensed.
>
> Morten Linderud pointed out on IRC that it originally comes from
> https://code.google.com/archive/p/konami-js/
>
> I did investigative work, and the author moved from googlecode to
> github, and relicensed it as MIT:
> https://github.com/snaptortoise/konami-js/issues/13
>
> This may not have covered prior PR authors on github, but it did cover
> the googlecode version which we use, yes?

I know this one!

The file checked in to archweb.git is `konami.min.js`.  That file can
be re-created by

 - take konami.js from commit
   ec0f686e647765860ff4d2fcb7b48122785432b75
   https://github.com/snaptortoise/konami-js

 - apply this patch:
   https://git.parabola.nu/server/parabolaweb.git/plain/Makefile.d/konami.js.patch?h=archweb-generic

 - run it through UglifyJS 2.2 (any of 2.2.x will produce the same
   output for this input)

 - insert "\n\t" or "\n" as appropriate; presumably to make it match
   whoever's (Dan's?) text editor's auto-wrap behavior when they
   copy/pasted it.

 - remove ";" when it appears right before a newline (again, probably
   someone's auto-wrap behavior).

Beside that patch, George Mandis is the only author of the
pre-minified file.

I don't know who is the author of the modifications in the patch.  It
doesn't correspond to any commit in the linked GitHub or the Google
Code SVN, nor any git fork of it that I found.

--
Happy hacking,
~ Luke Shumaker