[arch-projects] [devtools] uses MAKEFLAGS (+others) from /etc/makepkg.conf not /usr/share/devtools/

james harvey jamespharvey20 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 11:14:43 UTC 2019

I got extremely confused when I accidentally found out that the
MAKEFLAGS that is needed to be set for parallel building using
devtools is the one in "/etc/makepkg.conf", instead of one like
"/usr/share/devtools/makepkg-x86_64.conf".

Turns out this is because "makechrootpkg"::20180531-4::638 is:

   load_vars /etc/makepkg.conf

load_vars() only reads "{SRC,SRCPKG,PKG,LOG}DEST MAKEFLAGS PACKAGER",
so without me having set any of the others, it turns out the only
variable it uses from /etc is MAKEFLAGS.

For me, I think this is the only makepkg/pacman variable in an entire
devtools run that isn't out of /usr/share/devtools, since "archbuild"
gives those to "mkarchroot" and "arch-nspawn... pacman -Syu", and they
are copied into "/var/lib/archbuild/extra-x86_64/root/etc/" for
anything ran in the chroot.

Should this be fixed?  I originally thought of a new "makechrootpkg
-M" option, but I think it could instead run:

   load_vars ${copydir}/etc/makepkg.conf

If not, should "/usr/share/devtools/makepkg-x86_64.conf" be updated
with a comment where those variables are, to say they're actually used
out of "/etc/makepkg.conf"?