[arch-projects] [devtools] uses MAKEFLAGS (+others) from /etc/makepkg.conf not /usr/share/devtools/

Bruno Pagani bruno.n.pagani at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 13:14:27 UTC 2019

Hi,

Le 07/02/2019 à 12:14, james harvey via arch-projects a écrit :
> I got extremely confused when I accidentally found out that the
> MAKEFLAGS that is needed to be set for parallel building using
> devtools is the one in "/etc/makepkg.conf", instead of one like
> "/usr/share/devtools/makepkg-x86_64.conf".
>
> Turns out this is because "makechrootpkg"::20180531-4::638 is:
>
>    load_vars /etc/makepkg.conf
>
> load_vars() only reads "{SRC,SRCPKG,PKG,LOG}DEST MAKEFLAGS PACKAGER",
> so without me having set any of the others, it turns out the only
> variable it uses from /etc is MAKEFLAGS.
>
> For me, I think this is the only makepkg/pacman variable in an entire
> devtools run that isn't out of /usr/share/devtools, since "archbuild"
> gives those to "mkarchroot" and "arch-nspawn... pacman -Syu", and they
> are copied into "/var/lib/archbuild/extra-x86_64/root/etc/" for
> anything ran in the chroot.

Not the only variable, but the whole set above. On purpose.

> Should this be fixed?

AFAIK, this is the expected behaviour. When you build using devtools,
you expect variables local to this machine/user to be respected (and
that is the exact list of variables listed above), while distro settings
for everything else to be used ({C,CXX,LD}FLAGS mostly).

> I originally thought of a new "makechrootpkg
> -M" option, but I think it could instead run:
>
>    load_vars ${copydir}/etc/makepkg.conf
>
> If not, should "/usr/share/devtools/makepkg-x86_64.conf" be updated
> with a comment where those variables are, to say they're actually used
> out of "/etc/makepkg.conf"?

I don’t think you need to know about and thus ever touch
`/usr/share/devtools/*.conf`. Unless you actually develop devtools
themselves.

Regards,
Bruno