[arch-releng] Additional packages on Live/Install images?

Gerhard Brauer gerbra at archlinux.de
Sun Aug 2 05:36:20 EDT 2009

Hi,

from some requests/mails we should discuss if we add these additional
packages to the Live/Install image environment:

* rsync
* netcfg

netcfg could be usefull to setup mainly a wireless internet connection
for netinstall users (who not familar with iwconfig or wpa_supplicant).

Also a hint on vi:
vi in [testing] (050325-1) chnages the behavior of vi more to the basic
vi. As vi editor, have we an alternative? vim is too big IMHO
(dependencies)...
Otherwise IMHO vi 050325-1 is ok...

rsync as a rescue, maintenance tool. This package of cource could always
be installed via pacman, but one have to establish a internet
connection.

Both packages don't increase the images size too big, so my opinions
were to add them to 2009.08.

What do you mean?

FYI: I attatch a list of current used packages. Our policy is not to add
too many packages, above all when they could be installed easy later via
pacman. Currently i686 and x86_64 list don't differ.

Gerhard