[arch-releng] New installation guide

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Mon Aug 3 16:13:58 EDT 2009

On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 22:44:51 +0200
Dieter Plaetinck <dieter at plaetinck.be> wrote:

> So, we decided to write the install guide in markdown and keep it in git together with aif.
> it will be available on the images, as well as on the arch website (we still need to figure out a good way how to do that though.  seems like the markdown plugins for our wiki give security problems)
>
> Anyway, here is the new version http://github.com/Dieterbe/aif/blob/experimental/doc/official_installation_guide_en
> (formatted as plaintext, if you want to see it rendered, copy paste it into  http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/dingus )
>
> known issues:
> - id attributes don't work (seems like this is not possible unless you use html in markdown :((. this is needed to make the links from the TOC work)
> - alignment TOC not correct.
>

> Please review this file.  One part that is left largely untouched is the explanation for all files & options in the "configure system" section.
> It seems a bit overkill to me to try to document every option for every file, so I just left it like it was.
>
> Dieter

Here is the markdown version of the new guide:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:Official_Arch_Linux_Install_Guide

It's created by running ./make-doc.sh in aif and copypasting the html onto the wikipage.
( http://github.com/Dieterbe/aif/blob/7f3916486d3e6391e69cc20fb05a4eab2c118a46/make-doc.sh )

(current one: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Official_Arch_Linux_Install_Guide)

Known issues:
- html links are not interpreted by the wiki software. :( i'll guess I'll need to come up with a sed replacing thingie
- Sections 'article summary', 'available languages' and 'related articles' are not separate from the content like the original (..yet)

Please review this file for factual errors/spelling mistakes.  And feel free to send patches.
After it has had enough reviews, the translators can begin...