[arch-releng] New installation guide: translators, start your engines!

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Thu Aug 6 05:23:48 EDT 2009

On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 11:12:50 +0200
Gerhard Brauer <gerbra at archlinux.de> wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, den 06.08.2009, 09:22 +0200 schrieb Dieter Plaetinck:
> > On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 16:23:21 -0500
> > Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > It's an odd topic... but mostly I agree. Supplementary docs that
> > > are "in the wild" are fine, but if we're talking "official
> > > documentation" then it needs some sort of gatekeeper who says
> > > what is good and what is not
> >
> > remarkably, translations of the official guides are/will be
> > accepted like they are but we can't really check them, unless
> > me/Aaron/Gerhard/<insert new volunteers here> knows the language.
>
> I'm for maintaining **only** the English version from install guide as
> the official version. We could not look on each translated version if
> they really follow word-by-word the English version or so...
>
> Also a "responsibility" for errors we should have only for the English
> version.
> I'm also for: we put only the English version on the install images.
> If sone need a translated version he should obtain it from wiki or
> country related Arch-Site (ex. archlinux.de etc.)
>
> Gerhard

That sounds like a good idea to me.
Just like the current official guide has an i18n section at the top that points to translated versions,
we could add a similar section that points to unofficial translated versions.  People who put online translated versions on sites such as al.de or the
wiki on al.org then just have to ping me and ask to add a link.
And we have to tell people if they translate, they should "translate" 'official guide' into 'community guide' or something ;)

Aaron?