[arch-releng] ISO branding (WAS: Things beyond 2009.01/02)

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 18:18:53 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 7:34 AM, Leandro Inacio
<carvalho.inacio at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, folks!
>
> why don't we put "Arch Linux 2009.01" on /etc/arch-release and /etc/issue,
> and update it only when the filesystem is updated or when a new ISO is
> released?

Because we used to do this and people start taking version numbers
seriously. You get bug reports that say "I'm running ArchLinux
2008.10" or something insanely stupid. I can't stress how much I _do
not_ want to get back to that.

That's the sole reason I didn't want to put a version on the ISO
really, because people would say things like "I installed 2008.06, do
I need to reinstall?"