[arch-releng] 2009.02 name ideas

Gerhard Brauer gerbra at archlinux.de
Fri Feb 6 14:37:25 EST 2009

Am Thu, 5 Feb 2009 20:17:09 +0100
schrieb Dieter Plaetinck <dieter at plaetinck.be>:
> On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 11:29:58 -0600
> Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > If we add a file (I like /etc/arch-release better, FYI) we could
> > incorporate it into the initscripts somehow... and maybe into the
> > installer itself.

How about /etc/iso-release?
Or iso-version? So we prevent anything which could be interpreted as:
arch has releases.

> As for the "how to know which iso release you're running after booting
> the cd" problem:  you can always just check the kernel version.

But not on uname base. Remember, we eventually would make releases on
kernel.org minor upgrades (2.6.28.2 -> 2.6.28.3), so the kernel version
as uname provide it not usefull here.

> Dieter

Gerhard