[arch-releng] 2009.02 release notes . was: RC2 ISOs and final release

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 15:30:50 EST 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter at plaetinck.be> wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 17:56:19 +0100
> Gerhard Brauer <gerbra at archlinux.de> wrote:
>
>> Am Fri, 13 Feb 2009 09:49:17 -0600
>> schrieb Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>:
>>
>> > This sounds good to me, but I won't be around until Sunday - I will
>> > move it out before I leave work today, unless there are any "omg
>> > stop!" comments. I will then prepare the news items and all that fun
>> > stuff - anyone interested in making a draft of release notes? Make
>> > sure to mention things like AIF :)
>>
>> I wrote some draft for 2009.01. Could be used as a skeleton:
>>
>> ----------------------
>> Friday, 01/23/09
>> We proudly announce the release of the new ArchLinux installation
>> ISO's 2009.01. After a longer period without a new ISO, 2009.01 comes
>> with these features:
>> - Kernel 2.6.28
>> - Ext4 support. Installation could be done on a ext4 root partition,
>>   also the ISO is ready (grub) to act as a rescue/maintains cd for
>>   systems with ext4 root partitions.
>> - New ISO's (ftp-iso i686 and x86_64) with isolinux as bootloader. In
>>   the past we have a few systems which have problems to boot the
>>   install CD's when Grub was the bootloader. For these systems we
>> offer cd's with isolinux bootloader.
>>
>> Also we have a group of people working on the further iso's. Release
>> group TEXT etc.
>>
>> Further plans:
>> - Release new ISO's more regularly based on kernel upstream releases.
>> - Switch to a new installer (aif text, etc.) For testing on 2009.01 is
>>   still a version of aif ver.sio.n-1 available. TEXT
>>
>> Happy installing!
>> -------------------
>>
>> Regards
>>       Gerhard
>>

> my changes:
> * ISO's to ISOs and CD's to CDs
> (I hope Aaron knows his language well..
> http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-releng/2009-January/000004.html )

Heh, this is an oddity. Adding an s indicates plural, adding an
apostrophe s indicates possession... but it all gets confused when you
start throwing acronyms into the mix... because adding a lone s may
make it appear as if the s is part of the acronym... but I digress.

> We proudly announce the release of the new Arch Linux installation
> images, version 2009.02
> It took us quite a while, but we think the result is worth it:
> we added some cool new things and ironed out some
> long-lasting imperfections
> 2009.02 comes with the following features:

Minor changes inline, mainly to shrink the bullet list a bit:

> - Kernel 2.6.28
> - Ext4 support. Installation can be done on a ext4 root partition.

>  also the ISO is ready (grub) to act as a rescue/maintainance cd for
>  systems with ext4 root partitions.
{replace with}
- Rescue and maintenance capabilities for Ext4 root partitions

> - New ISOs (ftp-iso i686 and x86_64) with isolinux as bootloader.
>  Some users have reported issues with booting when using the Grub
>  bootloader. For these systems we offer cd's with the isolinux
>  bootloader.
{replace with}
- Fallback ISOs with the ISOLINUX bootloader, for those that have
trouble booting Grub-based images

> - Several bugfixes in the installer
> - Brought the included documentation up-to-date

> - Inclusion of the AIF (Arch Linux installation framework): Currently
>  still unsupported and under development.  But we want to make this
>  the new installer in the future, so if you like to test bleeding-edge
>  stuff you could give it a try. (it also supports lvm and dm_crypt)
{replace with}
- Inclusion of AIF (Arch Linux Installation Framework), the next
generation installer, currently under development.

> If you encounter any problems, you can check for bug reports (or file a
> new one) under the "Release Engineering" project at
> http://bugs.archlinux.org
> For more info about the releng team and how to get in touch with us,
> see http://www.archlinux.org/news/430/
>
> What's next?
> Our goal is to bring coordinated releases following the rhythm of kernel
> releases, in order to provide optimal hardware support.
> The roadmap (and current open bugs) of the next release (which will be
> based on 2.6.29) can be found on
> http://bugs.archlinux.org/index.php?do=index&tasks=&project=6&due=59
>
> Download
>
> http://www.archlinux.org/download/
> <note: i would put the instructions from
> http://dev.archlinux.org/~aaron/archiso/instructions on that page, as
> described in my "website improvements" email>

Otherwise it seems good to me.