[arch-releng] 2009.02 release notes . was: RC2 ISOs and final release

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Fri Feb 13 14:35:07 EST 2009

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 17:56:19 +0100
Gerhard Brauer <gerbra at archlinux.de> wrote:

> Am Fri, 13 Feb 2009 09:49:17 -0600
> schrieb Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>:
>
> > This sounds good to me, but I won't be around until Sunday - I will
> > move it out before I leave work today, unless there are any "omg
> > stop!" comments. I will then prepare the news items and all that fun
> > stuff - anyone interested in making a draft of release notes? Make
> > sure to mention things like AIF :)
>
> I wrote some draft for 2009.01. Could be used as a skeleton:
>
> ----------------------
> Friday, 01/23/09
> We proudly announce the release of the new ArchLinux installation
> ISO's 2009.01. After a longer period without a new ISO, 2009.01 comes
> with these features:
> - Kernel 2.6.28
> - Ext4 support. Installation could be done on a ext4 root partition,
>   also the ISO is ready (grub) to act as a rescue/maintains cd for
>   systems with ext4 root partitions.
> - New ISO's (ftp-iso i686 and x86_64) with isolinux as bootloader. In
>   the past we have a few systems which have problems to boot the
>   install CD's when Grub was the bootloader. For these systems we
> offer cd's with isolinux bootloader.
>
> Also we have a group of people working on the further iso's. Release
> group TEXT etc.
>
> Further plans:
> - Release new ISO's more regularly based on kernel upstream releases.
> - Switch to a new installer (aif text, etc.) For testing on 2009.01 is
>   still a version of aif ver.sio.n-1 available. TEXT
>
> Happy installing!
> -------------------
>
> Regards
> 	Gerhard

my changes:
* ISO's to ISOs and CD's to CDs
(I hope Aaron knows his language well..
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-releng/2009-January/000004.html )
* ArchLinux to Arch Linux (right?)
* isos-> images (img != not iso)
* phrasing changes, added something here and there.
* added some more new features
* releng notes at the end
* added "what's next?" and "Download" sections

We proudly announce the release of the new Arch Linux installation
images, version 2009.02
It took us quite a while, but we think the result is worth it:
we added some cool new things and ironed out some
long-lasting imperfections
2009.02 comes with the following features:

- Kernel 2.6.28
- Ext4 support. Installation can be done on a ext4 root partition,
  also the ISO is ready (grub) to act as a rescue/maintainance cd for
  systems with ext4 root partitions.
- New ISOs (ftp-iso i686 and x86_64) with isolinux as bootloader.
  Some users have reported issues with booting when using the Grub
  bootloader. For these systems we offer cd's with the isolinux
  bootloader.
- Several bugfixes in the installer
- Brought the included documentation up-to-date
- Inclusion of the AIF (Arch Linux installation framework): Currently
  still unsupported and under development.  But we want to make this
  the new installer in the future, so if you like to test bleeding-edge
  stuff you could give it a try. (it also supports lvm and dm_crypt)

If you encounter any problems, you can check for bug reports (or file a
new one) under the "Release Engineering" project at
http://bugs.archlinux.org
For more info about the releng team and how to get in touch with us,
see http://www.archlinux.org/news/430/

What's next?
Our goal is to bring coordinated releases following the rhythm of kernel
releases, in order to provide optimal hardware support.
The roadmap (and current open bugs) of the next release (which will be
based on 2.6.29) can be found on
http://bugs.archlinux.org/index.php?do=index&tasks=&project=6&due=59

Download

http://www.archlinux.org/download/
<note: i would put the instructions from
http://dev.archlinux.org/~aaron/archiso/instructions on that page, as
described in my "website improvements" email>

Have fun!