[arch-releng] Bittorrent with webseeds

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Sat Jan 24 11:27:34 EST 2009

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 18:02:25 +0200
Grigorios Bouzakis <grbzks at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 10:28:46AM +0100, Steffen Bönigk wrote:
> > Grigorios Bouzakis schrieb:
> >> Sorry for quoting the wrong part of the discussion, but does
> >> anyone have any knowledge regarding creation of torrent trackers?
> >> IMO it would be preferable to distribute ALL ISOs/IMGs even the
> >> alpha/betas using torrents with the least server load as possible.
> >> Many distributions have small torrent trackers set up. Maybe its
> >> time to have that in Arch too. Especially since theres an Official
> >> Release Team now, which plans on providing as much as possible
> >> frequent updates. FTR i had suggested the same thing around 2
> >> years ago, but the discussion didnt lead anywhere. Maybe things
> >> are more mature now. Im pretty sure that its not so difficult to
> >> set up.
> >>
> >> Greg
> >
> > Hello, to set up a torrent tracker you may want to try
> > http://phpbttrkplus.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > Steffen
>
> I was thinking more of something like
> http://www.whitsoftdev.com/opentracker/ . Statistics arent needed.
> Just a plain simple tracker.

Personally I like statistics :) amount of seeders, leechers, and if
possible: amount of people who completed a download and/or (roughly) the
amount of p2p traffic.

linuxtracker also seems to show some statistics.  assuming
linuxtracker has a high uptime (it was just down for a while but that
can be coincidence) I don't see what's wrong with using it.

Pierre: does linuxtracker show the amount of people who completed a
download and/or (roughly) the
amount of p2p traffic.

> "OpenTracker is a simplistic, lightweight, standards-compliant
> BitTorrent peer tracker. It is written in PHP and requires only a
> single MySQL table to function. It does not create or use files on
> disk, nor is it a continuously executing process, making it ideal for
> virtual web hosts.
> Compared with other popular trackers, OpenTracker is limited. It
> provides no interface for searching or viewing files or statistics.
> Rather, it is purely a tracker, plain and simple, which in many cases
> is just what is wanted."
>
> Greg

"It tracks torrent swarms blindly without first requiring seeders to
upload torrent files. In order to use the tracker, one only has to
create a torrent with the tracker's announce URL and begin seeding that
torrent. No preparation of the tracker is needed or possible. "

Huh? does this mean that everyone could (ab)use our tracker, using
it for torrents that have nothing to do with Arch?