[arch-releng] [archiso-PATCH] cleanup the mirrorlist handling in overlay

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Sun Jul 5 05:51:10 EDT 2009

On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 11:24:25 +0200
Gerhard Brauer <gerbra at archlinux.de> wrote:

> Am Sonntag, den 05.07.2009, 10:39 +0200 schrieb Gerhard Brauer:
> > Found a better way to get a actual working mirrorlist into our
> > ISO/Images.
>
> Question: should we place ftp.archlinux.org mirror on top of the
> generated mirrorlist?
>
> Currently the fetched mirrorlist is sorted by country, so an
> Australian mirror is on top. This is normally not a real problem if
> someone uses pacman in live-CD mode (aif installer ask the user which
> mirror should be used during web-install from this list).
>
> So what you opinions? Pushing archlinux.org mirror although we would
> avoid using this host?
> Or live with: first-in = first-use, a experienced arch user IMHO think
> to check the mirrorlist and push his preferenced mirror...
>
> Regards
> 	Gerhard

Well, I would stick with archlinux.org
It's basically impossible to set a good default because arch users are
all over the world.  So they have to change it anyway.  And if they
don't change it, then they get "punised" for ignoring our
recommendations by having very slow downloads ;)
So, I propose: mirrorlist in image == mirrorlist from package, but
uncommented archlinux.org

I'm however not sure if it's possible to use a different mirrorlist
file then the one that was used during building.