[arch-releng] Snapshot 2009.07/08 words

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Sun Jul 5 06:45:58 EDT 2009

On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 12:09:34 +0200
Gerhard Brauer <gerbra at archlinux.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> some notes on the upcoming snapshot (mostly my thoughts, but i guess
> Dieter would agree in general):
>
> * We plan definitely to have a new final snapshot(ISO/USB-Images)
> ready before and to be present on FrosCon (23./23. August 2009).
I hope so ! :)

> * It will have kernel 2.6.30 (99% the 2.6.30.1)
> Maybe we could handle this in general: If we make new snapshots with a
> new kernel, we wait until first upstream bugfix release.
I wouldn't explicitly wait on that.  but if core/kernel-26 gets updated
with patches before we do the release, then we should rebuild the iso's.

> * It will have aif as installer.
> Dieter and myself (and others too!) have done IMHO good work on aif.
> Our (private) test ISOs shows that the combination 2.6.30 and aif work
> without bigger problems now.
>
> * Next or next-by-one week we were able to present Beta (or better RCx
> images), so they could be tested by You.
>
> Gerhard

Some additions:
- We have a list of bugs pending for this release
http://bugs.archlinux.org/roadmap/proj6, including one bug and one
feature request for aif i still need to take care of

- We ignored NILFS until now. (nilfs = FS optimized for flash
  storage).  Nilfs is still listed as "experimental" in make menuconfig
  (but there are modules already for it in Arch) so it would be cool if
  we could include experimental support, but if we run out of time we
  can delay this, imho. (anyone interested in this?  this would be a
  nice thing to contribute!)

- Aaron has provided us a server on which we can build images and serve
  them directly.  This is quite useful and will decrease the duration
  of "build-upload-test" cycles imho.

dieter