[arch-releng] 2009.08 alpha images

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Tue Jul 7 15:03:03 EDT 2009

Hi guys,
As you may have read already
(http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-releng/2009-July/000549.html )
we are working on a new release, which we would like to have out there
by froscon. (22 august 2009)

You'll find the alpha images here:
http://build.archlinux.org/isos/
Target audience: interested hackers, eg the people on this list.

Changes compared to latest release (2009.02):
- kernel 2.6.30 (next set of images will have 2.6.30.1)
- usage of the AIF framework/installer, no more archlinux-installer
- aufs instead of unionfs
- images are now built on a new build server (the one provided by
  sevenL networks), in dedicated releng chroots.  This should make the
  "build-upload-test" cycles shorter.

Those are the main things I think.

The roadmap (basically our todo list of bugs and feature requests) is
here http://bugs.archlinux.org/roadmap/proj6
The moment this list is empty, expect an official release ;)

Please test and pay special attention to the "new things" such as the
lvm/dm_crypt support in aif, the new FS editor, and the automatic
procedure (for which you'll find an example in /usr/share/aif)

Bugreports are always welcome on our Bugtracker.

Also, we're not sure how we should take care of the documentation.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Official_Arch_Linux_Install_Guide
will need an update.  Last time there was some discussion about this,
but afaik the community contributed in this aspect. (though whoever
wants to help here should probably wait a bit until we've had some
feedback about aif's workings/UI)

A, G & D

PS: If you experience crashes with Virtualbox, there seem to be some
bugs showing up in vbox since kernel 2.6.30 ( eg
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/2149 )