[arch-releng] intel modem drivers (WAS: Archiso patch (FS#10831))

Gerhard Brauer gerbra at archlinux.de
Sat Jul 25 07:51:26 EDT 2009

Am Samstag, den 25.07.2009, 11:35 +0200 schrieb Thomas Bächler:
> Dieter Plaetinck schrieb:
> >> @Dieter: On another note, you should probably remove the intel modem
> >> drivers from the package list (intel-536ep, intel-537). Also add the
> >> intel 5150 firmware which is missing until now.
> >>

> > Can you give us more info on the 2 to remove? why should we remove them?
>
> I don't see a reason for them to be there. They're drivers for some
> internal windows modems, which are too slow for FTP installation anyway.
> And I don't like binary blobs on our ISO.
>
> > dieter at dieter-ws-a7n8x-arch ~ pacman -Ss intel | grep 5150
> > core/iwlwifi-5150-ucode 8.24.2.2-1
> >     Intel wireless firmware for Intel Wireless WiFi 5150AGN
> >
> > this is the one we should include?
>
> Yes. The 5000-ucode support all 5XXX cards except the 5150.
>
> > @ all: is there an easy way to check if we should include any more drivers?
> > We probably didn't give enough attention to the package list
>
> Most is in-kernel anyway.

Ok, i added iwlwifi-5150-ucode to packages lists on sigurd, so it is in
the next images (RC).
I don't add the brltty package, cause this would install most of X libs
etc. as depends.. We should think about that when looking closer to
barriere free solution...

I remove the intel-536ep, intel-537 from the i686 package list.

I also will add pcmcia hook to the initrd images, so install devices on
this bus could also be used...

Gerhard