[arch-releng] 2010.04.05 snapshots ready for testing

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Mon Apr 12 08:51:45 EDT 2010

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 14:23:48 +0200
Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:

> Am 12.04.2010 13:57, schrieb Dieter Plaetinck:
> > On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 13:50:21 +0200
> > Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:

> >> /dev/mapper/ devices should NEVER be block devices. They should
> >> ONLY be created by udev and should ALWAYS be symbolic links
> >> to /dev/dm-* block devices. This is true for all type of
> >> device-mapper devices, be it cryptsetup, lvm or dmraid:
> >
> > that's true, but test -b should exit(0) on them.
> > aif has a [ -b /dev/mapper/.. ] check which fails, causing aif to
> > abort.
> > and we don't know why. we only see that the file looks fine after
> > aif has crashed (okay. a bit later, see my previous mail), and when
> > we put debugging into aif the error does not happen.
> >
> > Would be great if you could help us out because
> > we're both clueless :)
>
> There were a number of races w.r.t. device creating and linking in the
> past. You could try udevadm settle (maybe with a --subsystem= option)
> after cryptsetup as a workaround and see if the bug disappears. Other
> than that, I wouldn't know how to solve it.

or hell. sleep 10. Chris, feeling lucky? :)

> Also, please make sure that all files (especially udev rules) from
> device-mapper are installed into /lib/udev/rules.d/ (they should be,
> as archiso uses pacman, but it never hurts to be absolutely sure).

okay.
btw on my laptop (which uses a lvm-on-top-of-dm_crypt setup):
dieter at dieter-dellD620-arch ~  ls /lib/udev/rules.d/*crypt* /lib/udev/rules.d/*mapp*
ls: cannot access /lib/udev/rules.d/*crypt*: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access /lib/udev/rules.d/*mapp*: No such file or directory

?