[arch-releng] 2010.04.05 snapshots ready for testing

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Mon Apr 12 08:23:48 EDT 2010

Am 12.04.2010 13:57, schrieb Dieter Plaetinck:
> On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 13:50:21 +0200
> Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
>
>> Am 11.04.2010 00:21, schrieb Chris Brannon:
>>> The stat following cryptsetup is different than the stat at the
>>> start of process_filesystem.  In the first stat, you'll see
>>> that /dev/mapper/cryptoroot is a block device.  It is at inode 7872.
>>> The second stat shows that /dev/mapper/cryptoroot is a symlink, and
>>> it is at inode 7949.
>>
>> /dev/mapper/ devices should NEVER be block devices. They should ONLY
>> be created by udev and should ALWAYS be symbolic links to /dev/dm-*
>> block devices. This is true for all type of device-mapper devices, be
>> it cryptsetup, lvm or dmraid:
>
> that's true, but test -b should exit(0) on them.
> aif has a [ -b /dev/mapper/.. ] check which fails, causing aif to
> abort.
> and we don't know why. we only see that the file looks fine after aif
> has crashed (okay. a bit later, see my previous mail), and when we put
> debugging into aif the error does not happen.
>
> Would be great if you could help us out because
> we're both clueless :)

There were a number of races w.r.t. device creating and linking in the
past. You could try udevadm settle (maybe with a --subsystem= option)
after cryptsetup as a workaround and see if the bug disappears. Other
than that, I wouldn't know how to solve it.

Also, please make sure that all files (especially udev rules) from
device-mapper are installed into /lib/udev/rules.d/ (they should be, as
archiso uses pacman, but it never hurts to be absolutely sure).